Author Topic: 28mm (standard) float bowl gallery question  (Read 290 times)

yanw

28mm (standard) float bowl gallery question
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:59:49 PM »
It's spring and that means the 3XV won't start as I didn't drain the carbs.

I'm cleaning them as I type however I have a question regarding which galleries should be connected. This is the lower carb.

The overflow (blue) is clear as is the slow circuit (green) however the connection to the hose (red) that connects the bowl to the carb is blocked.

So my question, with appologies to anyone who is colour blind, is should the red gallery be clear? Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:51:26 PM by yanw »

loor

Re: 28mm (standard) float bowl gallery question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:31:49 PM »
It's mandatory that the red passage is clear because its the powerjet circuit. Never had a 3xv but someone told me that one carb does have a pwj and one doesn't.

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:10:39 PM »
Depends on the model and the carb, Yan. You'll need to check the manual for your model. If the PJ is marked as a '0' on that side, then it will be blocked. If not it should flow - albeit it's a very small jet in any case.
Still Smoking...

yanw

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:45 PM »
Thanks Warwick, that's just the information I need. I'll have a look now and update the post with what I find.

yanw

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »
93RS 3XV9 with 28mm carbs, the upper/riders left  has the passageway open and the lower/riders right is blocked.

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 07:35:03 PM »
Satisfying sleuthing, Yan  (-P). The starting issue wouldn't be linked to the powerjets in any case of course, but it's always nice to know everything is set and working as it should. Are you up and running again now?
Still Smoking...

yanw

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 08:11:35 PM »
Just cleaning the upper carb. I have the time so I've done a side at a time. I've check the float heights as well. I'll fit tomorrow and dig out my "Warwick's guide to balancing carbs on the 3XV" guide  ;D ;D. Thank you  :)

yanw

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
Well, I got it running and it was very happy with both cylinders chiming in straight away. The one downside is it now looks like the coolant is contaminated and I'm guessing the water pump seal has gone. I'll continue that in a different thread...