Author Topic: TZR250R 3XV  (Read 284 times)

Tony B

TZR250R 3XV
« on: March 27, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »
So I've cleaned the car and bikes, mowed the lawn, tidied up stuff and I'm bored.

As I've time on my hands I thought I'd start a thread on a TZR250 I bought in 2018. It was owned by a forum member who'd done a grand job of fettling an unloved import from Japan.

As bought. It had some bodywork marks, but mechanically it was spot on.

Brief spec. was Martin Johnson porting, heads and pipes with NK cans. SP crank and 4° advance woodruff key with the KMH speedo modified to remove the speed restriction. Wilbers rear shock and MCT reworked forks. It went really well and I was well pleased with my buy.

It had a smart set of Coerce rearsets and a quick filler fuel cap which I wanted to change.

All the standard parts came with the bike so I cleaned them up and refitted.

Stripped the rear master cylinder and removed the Coerce rose joint to fit the original one. Whilst it was in bits I gave it a coat of paint.

Also bought some standard fasteners to replace the Pro-Bolt ones and a pair of mirrors. They were less than £20 each, but these are now NLA.

Replaced all the fluids and enjoyed riding the bike.

Whilst using it one thing making me nervous was that it was using a TZ fuel tap, so obviously no reserve. There was a new repair kit with the spares.

These are good quality so I fitted it to the TZR tap.

Then I got chatting to Martin J. at the classic TT and he suggested I get a programmable ignition to get the best out of it. A Zeel arrived in the post and as it's plug and play, it was a doddle to fit. There are some extra outputs for shift lights, switchable maps, etc. so I fitted some bullet connectors for use in the future.

I was kindly given a map from someone who is very knowledgeable and has a similar spec. machine to mine. The PC connector makes it really easy to use.

Sample PC interface.

Apologies if I'm telling people stuff they already knew.

After fitting the Zeel I removed the stepped woodruff key and fitted a set of MPH clocks that came with the bike.

Cadwell was fast approaching and I was keen to get it on a dyno so I took it to Rea Racing. On the initial runs it was consistently 56.6, though Ben said the fuelling needed looking at

The TZR had a another couple hours booked on the dyno to sort the jetting and tweak the ignition. Bottom cylinder was lean and top a little rich. Went up from 240 to 250 on the bottom one, came down from 270 to 260 in the top and it ran richer? We pulled the used 260 jet back out it was oval. I'm guessing worn over time by fuel so the 270 went back in.

It made 59.02 and 27.69 torque with a pretty even curve. Happy with that, though there may be a bit more to come. We had no time to change the Zeel map I'd been given.  Ben also recommended dropping the needles a notch to cure mid-range richness and fit a 260 MJ. I dropped the needles at home. Cadwell was two days away and I didn't have a 260, so I left it as is.

My first track day and had a ball at Cadwell, though the day was marred when a poor bloke keeled over just across an access road from us. He had a heart attack and was worked on for what seemed an age. I believe he has fully recovered.

Bike was then parked for the winter.

Corona virus strikes and I had to return home early from holiday, so I thought I'd do a bit more.

The colour of the pipes (I think it was supposed to be gun metal grey) and the comedy welding (not by the previous owner or Martin) have been talking points and not always in a good way. 

I tidied up the most visible bad welds, stripped back to bare metal and painted them with PJ1 matt black.

Also ordered some new springs.

Whilst waiting for the paint to dry I fitted a 260 MJ I had bought. Not much room to work on these things. Moving the bottom of the rad. helped loads.

The fairing v-piece was a white item plasti-dipped in black. This had started to suffer from stone damage so I peeled it all off and gave it a few coats of satin black.

That's better.

Ready to go, though who knows when!

Steveog

Re: TZR250R 3XV
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 06:57:11 PM »
Great story and pics. I've been fiddling with a track only TZR 3xv1 for 2 years. We both made many of the same mods. Mine came with Dog Fight Pipes, but Martin77 tweaked my cylinders and heads. Martin’s work and The Zeel made the biggest difference. I stripped of the VAJ, TPS and oil injection system for the sake of simplifying the tuning.

I just installed some high-flow air-filters. That means I'll bump up the mains to 210/280. Probably won't yield much in the way noticeable HP, but an interesting project. See pics. These filters won't do much in a dusty environment, but keeping the turbulence of the air under control with higher flow-through seems to make sense. 

Keep up the good work. We're are lucky to have these machines to occupy a real passion. Plus, they always seem to require a bit of extra love.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:15:09 PM by Steveog »
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

Martin77

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:14:42 PM »
You've been busy lately Tony!... I had wondered how you were getting on with that one. To be fair, I'm not a brilliant welder anyway.. still, what's that saying about not looking at the mantel piece when stoking the fire?

Remember to use a nice load of sealant with the pipe manifolds if you haven't already.

but 59hp is a pretty healthy figure though, which should make for a nice road bike by the sound of it. Have you got a pic of the dyno run?

ybk

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 06:21:18 AM »
Neat! Solid work you've done (-P) How is that Wilbers shock? I checked online and they seem fairly basic, ie, no remote reservoir and only rebound adjustment but certainly much better than the stock item? Nitron also does one but is more expensive and seems a bit more fancy.. Been looking at replacements after my rebuilt one started leaking  :-\

Would you mind sharing your zeel config file?

Tony B

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »
Great story and pics.

I just installed some high-flow air-filters. That means I'll bump up the mains to 210/280. Probably won't yield much in the way noticeable HP, but an interesting project. See pics. These filters won't do much in a dusty environment, but keeping the turbulence of the air under control with higher flow-through seems to make sense. 

Steve

Thanks. Interested to see how you get on with the filters. Forgot to mention that the bike also has the modded top airbox.
You've been busy lately Tony!...

but 59hp is a pretty healthy figure though, which should make for a nice road bike by the sound of it. Have you got a pic of the dyno run?

I have, just waiting for some warmer weather to paint the TZ.

Pleant of sealant used.Though they were quite a tight fit at the headers.

This is the only image of the dyno run. It's abit 'noisy'.

How is that Wilbers shock?
Would you mind sharing your zeel config file?
The shock is certainly good eonugh for me!

PM your adress and I'll share the .zee.