Author Topic: Returning 3XV Race Bike to Road Use  (Read 1442 times)

jools

• Yes, we have no Bananas
Re: Returning 3XV Race Bike to Road Use
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2020, 04:14:26 AM »
Just picked up the finished prototype.

Will head home later and see what the fit is like. I found drawing these relatively easy - so easy in fact I went and ordered a printer !

Well, you can never have too many toys/tools eh ?  :))

Plus ce la change, plus ce la memchose

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 08:19:29 PM »
That looks great Jools. What material is it printed from?
Still Smoking...

jools

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2020, 11:36:39 PM »
PLA Plus I think,

back to the drawing board though - I messed up the design - its not as symmetrical as it looks  ::) only slightly out but enough to not fit properly.

But in my defense this is what I'm having to use as a template.....its in about 20 pieces glued and taped together

thump566

• NW London, UK
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »
Prototypes are exactly that and as a first bite at the cherry, I would be really pleased to have produced that. I keep considering trying to produce something like this, particularly after seeing your first attempt  (-P)

Looking forward to seeing the next incarnation, stick with it Jools   :) (-P)   
Still a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

jools

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 12:49:14 PM »
Cheers Thump

I was more pissed as I thought I had checked all the major dimensions.

I've already redrawn the model as the way I initially designed it made it difficult to correct the error. Live & Learn  :)

Warwick

• Global Moderator
  • UK
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 12:54:34 PM »
Rome wasn't built out of broken eggs... Or something...    :))

Top drawer first attempt, I'd say.  (-P)
Still Smoking...

no smoke no poke

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 08:18:10 PM »
is it just me but i like to replace those gear selectors bad double pivot with a direct 1 piece arm straight onto the gear select shaft????

jools

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2020, 03:06:15 AM »
They are fine if they are set up correctly with the two actuating arms at the same operating angle.
Correct Rod length has a defining role in making this easier.

jools

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2020, 01:56:01 AM »
my 3D Printer arrived and after watching a few you tube vireos on set up and other matters I did my first test print with the corrected model using Cura slicer to experiment with printer settings. It had a slight squeak but I couldn't identify the location and there were many screws that needed nipping up.
The print turned out pretty shite. it turns out the one my mate did for me was in Nylon 12, which not many home printers can handle.

Suspecting it could be the cheapo filament they supplied with the printer I ordered some decent PLA+ and printed a test pig after some more tweaking.

Still suffered the same cyclic banding issues so after much searching on line and investigating I discovered the problem of the squeak to be the z axis movement. It turn out to be a bent shaft on one of the stepper motors so have emailed off to support for a replacement.

ybk

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 04:27:15 AM »
Good progress! As I understand these printers take a while to get dialled in and it forces you to learn as you go while tweaking everything. I thought about getting that guard printed in a flexible filament after seeing the different types you get in this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoiqWxPuwM ). But normal plastic is probably OK and will last longer I think.

jools

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »
Good progress! As I understand these printers take a while to get dialled in and it forces you to learn as you go while tweaking everything. I thought about getting that guard printed in a flexible filament after seeing the different types you get in this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoiqWxPuwM ). But normal plastic is probably OK and will last longer I think.
Its surprising how much information is out there to assist. Generally these Cr10S Pro's have  good report, once they are dialled in. I don't want to get too interested and forget why I went this route, and end up flying off at a tangent printing vase's and piggy banks  :))

i might look at trying some TPU filament but that looks to be too flexible perhaps.

no smoke no poke

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2020, 09:58:06 AM »
maybe of interest i seen a english guy print tiny jet engines to go on his arms to fly around used titanium powder i think it is no idea what kind of 3d print he has mind just a thought for u to mull over

no smoke no poke

bulldogboy

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »
Hi Jools, think I'td be quicker for me to buy a printer and learn how to use it than wait for the guy that's making a front and rear chain slider prototype for me, , he was sposed to deliver them last monday, then yesterday, still havnt got them, when I do I'll post some pics, all I know about the filament was it was hard, black, and u.v resistant, I'll ask him it's official name ,..if he ever delivers them! P.s great first effort on the underside part, maybe the forum needs a seperate 3d printing thread?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:52:18 AM by bulldogboy »

jools

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2020, 12:47:05 AM »
We'll let someone with more experience start that one  :)) Maccas should be a good source of info as he used to market a few bits.

It could be ABS or PC (Polycarbonate). My machine will do ABS but its trickier than PLA. I'll attempt it one day.

you can see the banding problem on this test pig better with the blue filament. The cyclic pattern was caused by the Z axis stepper motor problem