Author Topic: Returning 3XV Race Bike to Road Use  (Read 11076 times)

Clarksan

Re: Returning 3XV Race Bike to Road Use
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »
Hi Jools
Im in the process of gathering bits to build a race bike, I was just wondering if you might have some racey bits you dont want ?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:09:59 PM by Clarksan »

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 11:00:09 PM »
Hi Jools
Im in the process of gathering bits to build a race bike, I was just wondering if you might have some racey bits you dont want ?

Not this stage as I’m not sure what I’ll do in the future. It depends what you are looking for. I have some Sugo parts that are hard to find these days and expensive if you do. I have learnt not to sell things for these bikes from what it costs to find standard parts.
Really for a race bike you can fit a fair few TZ parts but you need to be handy in the workshop. The wiring loom is probably the only part worth looking for. There is one on yahoo Japan for 20000 yen. I won’t sell mine as I might though. You can use a TZ item with TZ front bracket and get longer cables for the PV servo if you are using 3XV1 or 3XV2 cylinders.  Plus a Zeeltronic ignition.
Plus ce la change, plus ce la memchose

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 11:21:36 PM »
Good progress (-P) Tough going in reverse from a trackbike, easier to ditch parts than source hehe.

Re the pipe spacing - most(?) aftermarket pipes have a slight dent to accommodate the sidestand bracket:

DFR's:

Not sure if your want to take the hammer to the TZ pipes though ;D Just some trivia.

By the way it looks like your chain circlip is on the wrong way round :)

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »
Good progress (-P) Tough going in reverse from a trackbike, easier to ditch parts than source hehe.

Re the pipe spacing - most(?) aftermarket pipes have a slight dent to accommodate the sidestand bracket:

DFR's:

Not sure if your want to take the hammer to the TZ pipes though ;D Just some trivia.

Well spotted. I haven’t ridden it for a few years so can’t recall the last time it came off either  ::)

Clarksan

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 05:24:55 PM »
Hi Jools
Thanks for the reply, Im only needing to get 64 bh, thats the max allowed in the race class id like to enter.
At the moment most important,im looking a SP front fork bottom yoke & a good rear shock which ill probably get new anyway.

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 12:17:19 AM »
Hi Jools
Thanks for the reply, Im only needing to get 64 bh, thats the max allowed in the race class id like to enter.
At the moment most important,Im looking a SP front fork bottom yoke & a good rear shock which ill probably get new anyway.

Where are you located ? It sounds like a class based on Yamaha Past Masters format - could be a good class.

You will get pretty close to that without going too mental. If you can find a 93 SP top end - thats a great starting point, TZ pipes and a Zeel you should get close without any porting. SP 32 or 36mm PJ carbs would be a good choice. With that limitation getting rid of the restrictions, then weight and sorting the handling should be a first step. I still used the stock brakes, nothing wrong with them - anything better slows you down...

Drop me an email and I'll give you the full spec and set up if you want.

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 12:06:47 AM »
Hi Jools
At the moment most important,Im looking a SP front fork bottom yoke & a good rear shock which ill probably get new anyway.

Where are you located ? It sounds like a class based on Yamaha Past Masters format - could be a good class.

You will get pretty close to that without going too mental. If you can find a 93 SP top end - thats a great starting point, TZ pipes and a Zeel you should get close without any porting. SP 32 or 36mm PJ carbs would be a good choice. With that limitation getting rid of the restrictions, then weight and sorting the handling should be a first step. I still used the stock brakes, nothing wrong with them - anything better slows you down...

Drop me an email and I'll give you the full spec and set up if you want.

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 05:10:46 AM »

Actually it is correct as that is the bottom chain run - so the closed end of the link is heading towards the back wheel - I noticed when I removed the chain yesterday.

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 05:23:03 AM »
Progress is continuing. I'm finding I'd cannibalised the rear sub-frame more than I remember which has necessitated a cheeky bid on a good one in Japan. Not before spending a Saturday morning in the shed fabricating a new seat lock bracket to tack on. Thanks to Gavin (Bulldogboy) for help and photos that allowed me to fabricate another. The finding the front pillion seat mounts were absent  ::)
The inner guard arrived and that has been on and off several times with everything else going on.

The replacement wiring loom arrived so that has been cleaned, tidied up with loom tape and a few connectors replaced, before fitting. So far I've been able to find all the brackets necessary. The power valve adaptor loom will go on in place of the VAJ's.

I couldn't find the rear brake reservoir and I knew I had one somewhere. Today some mates popped in for a coffee and while showing them my TZ750 in the front room I noticed I had used the 3XV reservoir on it ! One thing less to buy I guess.

Carbs now off for a clean and check. As I'll be putting air filters back in I'll start with the 3XV7 Sugo base settings. I've sourced an RGV TPS to use as I junked the std TPS on the front carb.

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »
Weekly update:

I managed to locate another subframe here in Oz and it arrived on Thursday. an hour in the sandblast cabinet, etch primer and black gloss has turned out well if perhaps a bit too shiny...

P1010240 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr
P1010241 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr

Here the foreman is inspecting the progress so far "Hope you are changing those case screws ?"  ???
P1010243 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr

The rear brake hose arrived but bleeding in situ proved to be a real bitch. I ended taking the entire assembly off so I wasn't pumping air up hill. even the vac bleeder wouldn't get the fluid moving. I found one blocked bleed nipple but that wasn't the cause.
P1010242 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr

Electrics are all basically in place now. Then I noticed the aftermarket kill switch would need replacing, firstly the cable is not long enough but more importantly it has no wires for the front brake switch. Spent ages looking for a pink wire for the horn, the normal Yamaha colour. Then I find its not pink !
P1010238 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr

Next up will be to return the intakes to standard arrangement with boost bottles and oil line connectors. I also spent several hours going through my box of throttle cables to assemble one good one. Nightmare of a job. I found the TPS carb top for the front 36mm carb, the connector had been cut off but I was able to find it and solder it all back together with heatshrink and pvc sleeve.
P1010244 by Julian Hardy, on Flickr

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2020, 11:31:46 AM »
Looking good, Jools (I agree with the foreman about the bolts, mind...). So long as you don't fit the plastic sandwich box, I reckon you should be able to wiggle the single seat on.   
Still Smoking...

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2020, 10:40:59 PM »
Warwick -

but where will I keep my sarnies and a can of Blackthorn for my mid trip rest stop though ? Rucksacks don't do a lot for the aerodynamics  ;D

no smoke no poke

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 08:18:10 PM »
is it just me but i like to replace those gear selectors bad double pivot with a direct 1 piece arm straight onto the gear select shaft????

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »
Next phase begins.

YPVS Pulley by Julian Hardy

Pulley now completed with slots finished off.

As will you will have read on a different post, I have been having woes with trying to source 3XV7 YPVS parts.
Having manufactured the YPVS spool, I then discovered that all 4 cables are NLA from Yamaha according to my source in Japan.

Having had a TZ style set up previously I wasn't about to be put off by this small inconvenience and digging through my cables box I found what looks to be a pair of aftermarket cables for the lower cylinder.Unfortunately the TZ bracket at the cylinder is no use so will have to re-manufacture one to suit to accommodate the lower cables adjuster. I'll look at doing this tomorrow.

The upper cylinder uses another style of bracket. For this I am looking to use a couple of cables from the R which might just be long enough but because both cables have adjusters in them I've had to manufacture  this bracket, which I've just finished. I brazed the spigots rather than Mig as the base is quite thin. Had trouble getting enough heat into the first attempt and the bronze was pidgeon shit. I managed to find my mini oxy/map gas kit which managed to get it up to temperature and looking a lot better.

IMG_3776 by Julian Hardy

Warwick

• Admin
  • UK
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
Good stuff! It's always the little invisible things that hoover up the time, isn't it?
Still Smoking...