Author Topic: Mirror glas problems  (Read 687 times)

pee-T

Mirror glas problems
« on: May 23, 2020, 03:32:58 PM »
Hi Gentlemen,

Yesterday I lost my right mirror glas. It suddenly fell out of the casing while riding just 10 mph.  :-[
I picked up the glass pieces on the road after making a u-turn, for making a template. Unfortunatly I didnt find all of the pieces .
Because of this, I am unsettled, if there is just the glass and no additional component behind of it, to tighten the glass. There is just an empty casing left.
What I mean is, how gets the glas fixed in the casing? Is it just clicked in the frame of the casing?
If yes, is there no adhesive necessary?

Today I bought an used but complete 3xv rear view mirror (in bad condition with a lot scratches in the surface of the casing). I just want to use its mirror glas with my still good looking casing .

What is the best way, to get the glass out of the old casing?

Thank you boys...

Cheers

Peter

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:36:09 PM by pee-T »

Steveog

Re: Mirror glas problems
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 06:44:22 PM »
The mirror casing is plastic. A heat gun should partially melt the lip of the casing and free the glass.

At the point the plastic starts to deform help in along with your fingers, pulling the lip of the casing up and away from the glass (using shop gloves, of course). Take it a section at a time starting with the top lip. By the time the upper two corners are pealed back the mirror should release with little effort. If not, move on to the sides.

Its probably obvious, but be sure to do this over a soft material, such as a towel. The mirror could drop out.

Yes, its a press fit kinda deal. If you're concerned about it falling out again, a dab of epoxy in the groove of the casing should keep it in place. Just use a bit. With epoxy you have a bit of time before it sets up, so any detailing/touch-up should be easy.

Good Luck.

Steve
Brief, fleeting Glory. Which of itself cannot last, but while it does is the best game of all.

pee-T

Re: Mirror glas problems
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 07:58:16 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your detailed manual. (-P)

In particular it helps me, to be sure now, that there is no additional bracket or something like that, which got lost too.

....This is the best forum ever! O0