Author Topic: Kiwi 3XV1 Resurrection | Lessons In How to Do Things Painfully Slowly  (Read 21500 times)

ybk

• Admin
Re: Kiwi 3XV1 Resurrection | Lessons In How to Do Things Painfully Slowly
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »
I used to fit BT090's but have now settled for RS11's, the fingernail test says they are way softer than than the 090's. Yet to test them on the road/track. Supercorsa's will be the best if the budget stretches to that. A friend of mine have done a few track days on the Dunlop Alphas and he says they stick like snot.

mellorp

• Manchester
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2021, 12:15:34 PM »
You can put a 160 on a 4.5" rim but you will have to get your elbow down to use all the tyre. A 150 gives a better the rubber a better profile and you can go all the way to the edge no problem. You may feel the extra security of a bit more rubber from a 160 is what you need, the larger tyre also give the back end a more modern look. The 150 foes look a bit skinny. It's your choice}}

Dunlop Alpha's are pretty spectacular (me in the white helmet being chased down by my pal on a CBR600RR, I disappear at 14:20 but reappear a few corners later) through the twisty bits https://youtu.be/vAD6hefbOA4?t=555
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 01:34:27 PM by mellorp »
Uncle (Reverend) Phil !!!

Mananon

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2021, 05:53:05 AM »
Hi all,

A few updates today.
My OEM parts finally arrived (photo below) so I now have a lot of tasks I can progress.
My SP graphics have also arrived from Image-works so I can get the red scanned and matched for the tank paint. I was a tad surprised that the belly-pan black is a plain matt black (same as the front and seat-unit number panels) rather than the bluish-black belly-pan on the R version.
The white bits for the nose cone are also plain white rather than the silky white I was expecting.
The shock has been rebuilt but I'm still awaiting the spring back from the powder coater.
Still waiting to top-coat the wheels. Quite sunny today but the gale-force wind is relentless.

I emailed a mate at Pirelli and asked about tyre size recommendations. Reply pasted in below in italics.

Hi Duncan,

The TZR250R 3XV people I know of have used both the 110/70ZR17 – 150/60ZR17 OR 120/70ZR17 – 160/60ZR17

Personally I think the 160 is a better fit for the 4.5” rim but the 150 also works.

The 120/70 ZR17 will only work if your front rim is 3.5” otherwise if its 3” you’ll need to run the 110 width which then I’d go with 150 rear.

In regards to compounds, I generally recommend the Supercorsa SP for people that use the bikes on the road.

Personally I’d pick the Supercorsa SP over the SC with the split between Road vs Track you’ve mentioned. However we haven’t landed the new SP rear in 150/60 yet (Only have the fronts available so far).

Would you be using tyre warmers when you go to the track?

My answer to tyre warmers will be no. I've gone soft in my old age and only go to the track in the best of the weather.
Our 3XV's have a 3" front rim, so that tells me we should be running 110's front and 150 rears, despite Pirelli being a bit unusual in that their tyre profiles mean a 160 is the better fit for a 4.5" rear rim.
Obviously we have the option of fitting an FZR400 front (straight swap I think) to get a 3.5" wide front wheel, but that's not something I've really considered.

My next question to the forum team - has anyone run Supercourser SP's? They're a new one on me.

Mananon

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2022, 06:05:33 AM »
Hi all and a Happy New Year from sunny NZ.

With all the new parts I've made some decent progress recently and have the back end ready to go together in most regards.
As some might have read on AndyYam's build thread, I've had some problems with being supplied the wrong wheel bearings, but I managed to get some locally and they are currently in the freezer.
Warming the wheel housing up won't be an issue. It's been around 30 degrees here recently and it's insufferable in the garage after about 11am.
I also still need a chain and sprockets which are on order but I'm not expecting them any time soon what with the endless shipping delays. My CMS order (coming from the Netherlands) made it to Sydney on the 15th of December but hasn't moved since. Looks like it's going to have taken well over 2 months by the tine it arrives. Anyway, my initial aim is to just get it back on it's wheels to make it easier to move. My current job finishes in February and I'll need to move several hours away for the next job so I don't want everything in a million bits.

Tomorrows job will getting the bearings in but I'm also setting up to sandblast, etch and nickle plate some brackets and fasteners.
To that end, can anyone help me identify what the brackets are in the bottom photos? I've taken two photos at different angles to try to show the shapes better. The bike came with a bag full and I'm not sure where a lot of them go. The parts manual is helpful but is a bit blurred. 5 and 6 are a both identical. I think 16, 17 and 18 go on the left side of the frame under the seat and should hold electrical connectors, though I'm not sure which order they go in or which way around or even which connector they should hold. 19 is the front air solenoid holder I think and I reckon 20 goes on the rear brake fluid reservoir. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:07:07 AM by Mananon »

SeaR1ck

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2022, 07:05:38 AM »
#9 mounts off the clutch cover lower right. Routes some of the carb vent hoses.

#8 the upper cylinder power valve cable holders.

#15 left side fairing mount the choke lever also bolts to it.

#2 mounts on the lower cylinder head and is one of the coolant catch tank mounts.

3 of them go on the left rear frame side for wiring routing.

There's like 4 of those brackets that go on the clutch cover for the carb vent hose routing. One is also for the oil pump cable on the clutch cover.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:28:34 AM by SeaR1ck »

Gooch

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2022, 03:01:24 PM »
Page numbers corresponding to those on our PDF parts catalogue in the resource section here.

1 - 3XV-2832U-00 - Page 55/56
2 - 3XV-2175T-00 - 6/7
4 - 3XV-2612E-00 - 48/49
5/6 - 3XV-2172K-00 - 31/32
7 - 3XV-2582E-00 - 52/53
8 - 3XV-1135A-00 - 1/2
9 - 3XV-2175U-00 - 17/18
10 - 3XV-26292-00 - 48/49
11 - 3XV-25876-10 - 48/49
12 - 90465-10347 - 1/2
13 - 90465-10350 - 17/18
14 - 90462-08204 - 17/18
15 - 3XV-28321-00 - 55/56
16 - 3XV-21596-00 - 27/28
17 - 3XV-21595-00 - 27/28
18 - 3XV-21597-00 - 27/28
19 - 3XV-2164F-00 - 27/28
20 - 3ET-25888-00 - 52/53

3 - I have no clue.

edit: added 12&19 info.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 05:07:02 PM by Gooch »
Rough but running...

thump566

• Site Supporter
  • NW London, UK
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2022, 10:46:42 PM »
Think #3 might be 3XV-2164G-00-00 which is located at the rear of the inner rear mudguard?

P.S. Gooch, superb identification (-P)
Forever a student attempting to learn from the Mentors.

Mananon

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2022, 12:01:54 AM »
Seriously gents, I'm blown away. I though some of you might know what a few of them are, but this is far more than I expected and the photos are extremely helpful.
Gooch in particular, my thanks for the time and effort.

ybk

• Admin
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2022, 09:38:18 AM »
Impressive Gooch :)) You’re quite the 3xv whisperer ;D

#3 is not a stock 3xv bracket, never seen it before.

AndyYam

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2022, 09:54:20 PM »
Seriously gents, I'm blown away. I though some of you might know what a few of them are, but this is far more than I expected and the photos are extremely helpful.
Gooch in particular, my thanks for the time and effort.

Wow! A huge thank you from me to all involved also including Mananon for asking! This was a task I was anxious about and it all just got a lot easier! Woohoo

Mananon

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2022, 12:34:29 AM »
Just a brief update from me, given that I haven't done one for a while.
As some will have picked up in AndyYam's build thread, I've discovered that my SP rolling chassis isn't entirely SP and that I've an R type front axle and wheel set-up. That means that the SP oil seal I ordered for the right-hand side of the wheel was wrong. Fortunately I've got one locally. Unfortunately I can't get a new speedo drive or retainer which is missing. No-one holds any stock in NZ.
It's now over a month since the powder coater closed for the Christmas/summer break but they are open again today, so I should get my shock spring back this week which can then go back on the shock along with the swinger, rear subframe and all that gubbins.
I've also ordered Supercorsa V3 SC1's. Why those tyres? Because they are the only 110 front and 150 rear matched pair in New Zealand. Unless I wait a couple of months there's no other tyre option.
So, once that stuff is fitted, I can at least get it back on it's wheels, which I really need to do for moving house in the next few weeks.
In other news I still haven't finished re-wrapping the wiring loom and I've got new brake and gear pedals to install, pegs to put back on, side-stand to clean up and re-fit and the tank to fettle. Quite a bit of work in the tank alone, so I'm not short of things to do till after I've found a new place to live and can start ordering parts again.

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2022, 04:16:21 AM »
Hi Manon

The image below shows what I was able to find -

The speedo drive guts and what appears to be the wheel mounted drive clutch but no fitting snap ring ?

Regards

Jools
Plus ce la change, plus ce la memchose

Kiwisteve74

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2022, 06:33:29 AM »
Hey Duncan, I love the thread mate, great to see another kiwi battling with a 3xv. I’ve not been on this forum for a long time, I bought a basket case 3xv1 a few years ago and have finally got it to a stage for compliance, luckily mine has been registered in NZ before so I’m good. I too use the rgv fuel tap and it works without issue. I ended with almost enough spares to build another bike, carbs, electrics, frame , motor , shock and triple clamps but was thinking of building a track bike if I can find the swing arm and suitable front end.

As for tyres, I love the pirelli super corsa on my race bike but as you know, Kane the local importer has limited supply, not sure if it’s a COVID related supply chain issue or that the sizes are just not common anymore, the 300SS guys are looking at 140 rear slicks as they are now cheaper than the super corsa.

I will keep following with interest mate.

Mananon

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2022, 07:03:01 AM »
Hey Jools,

The drive part is obviously the bit at the bottom of your photo but I'm unsure what the other two parts are. I'm guessing the the other two rings in your photo are something within my assembled drive.
Along with the drive I'm also missing a thing called a Clutch Retainer - web photo below but if you Google 341-25846-00-00 CLUTCH RETAINER you'll get loads more images from different angles.
I've also attached a photo of my speedo drive as it is - which is as it came off the bike. I can't readily see what's holding it together but I'll have a better look tomorrow. That said, I don't think I need to pull that bit apart.

@Steve, glad to meet another Kiwi 3XV rider. Along with Karel (YBK) that makes three of us that I know of.
Kane at Pirelli reckons it's purely a supply chain issue. Fingers crossed I get my wheels (with tyres) and my shock back tomorrow. Public holiday here on Monday so I sincerely hope to get the old girl back on her pins.
Where about's in NZ are you based mate? I'm in Palmerston North by the way.

Cheers,
Duncan

Kiwisteve74

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2022, 07:14:32 AM »
West coast of the south mate, I know of a few more down Timaru and a few in Christchurch but yes, hard to come by. I remember your bike on TM and could tell it was a bit mixed and matched, but I think the price was fair in the current market and you won’t loose on it I’m sure. Who do you use for new Yamaha parts?