Author Topic: Just picked up a 2XT  (Read 12867 times)

epa police

• Sydney Australia
Re: Just picked up a 2XT
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »
Really need a better camera  :o

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »
I'm going to run the bike as it is instead of changing the electrics and see how it goes, thanks for the offer Mark. I am still waiting for the rings to arrive so I can finish the motor and the forks are being rechromed. I gave the foot rests, fork lowers and handle bars a quick sand blast to get the white crap off them. 

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 04:53:12 AM »
My rings finally arrived after a month waiting  :o Anyway I put the motor back together and in the frame and hooked up all the cables wiring etc and fired it up this afternoon. She is sweet as and super quiet which is what you would expect from a 2000k motor. I was just putting some fuel down the fuel hose to each carb to fire it up but when I knocked the choke off it started to labour and then cut out. Hopefully this is just due to the tank being off the bike and possibly needing a decent amount of fuel to give it a bit of pressure. Also I was running premix to get it fired up and then bled the pump so it was super rich.
I had to order a new fuel tap filter for inside the tank so I have another week to wait for that anyway. I also need a new chain and tyres, I think 1988 tyres may not be up to the job  ;D       

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 08:09:03 AM »
Good work Pat.

I'm trying to get up some enthusiasm to start looking at the bikes after two UK visits in a month.
Even walking around Spa didn't really perk me up even with all those fantastic bikes around.

I pick up the reworked Spondon frame tonight to perhaps that will do it............. :-\
Plus ce la change, plus ce la memchose

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 06:29:16 AM »
Had the bike around the car park today and it runs well except the problem is still there with the carbs. if left to idle the bike will idle for a few seconds and then slowly start to drop off and stall. If I grab the throttle before it stalls its ok it will pick up again and when revved after about 2500 it revs clean. Below 2500 however it just labours and is like its out of fuel. After it stalls it wont start again without some serious stuffing around.
When I rev the bike it holds on to the revs like the pilots are blocked then drops back down. I put three fingers into the intake of the airbox when running and it is nice and crisp then doesn't hold the revs and is responsive, about 80% blocked off. I blocked off the intake and rode it but no good. I have raised the needle two and gone up on the main from 230 to 240, no difference.
I can here it sucking air in the airbox and struggling like its too lean.
Anyone got any suggestions because I have had enough for today  >:(     

mboddy

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 06:41:09 AM »
The TZR carbs respond well to ultrasonic cleaning when there are symptoms like you describe.
TZR250 2XT, IKT F3, TDR250, R1-Z

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
Yea I might give them a dip tomorrow. I checked the float level again and it was spot on. It also seems to be the right side more so than the left.
I ended up putting a liner in the tank also after all

tzr-v4

• South West of France
    • French RD500LC Club
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 03:13:42 PM »
On my 2XT, the choke circuit was so bad that ultra sonic has no effect ...
I need to use a 3mm drill to have the choke working properly.  :o
Olivier.
TZR250 2MA & 2XT, RD500s et TZR-V4 building...

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
My choke works well and when the bike gets hot it makes no difference. I could just keep the idle at 4000 and not worry about it I suppose  ;D

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
It does sound like pilots, especially check the tiny airway drillings in the venturi.
They connect down to nozzel area on some carbs. Are they primary or secondary nozzles (holes or no holes)?

Pull them apart totally and dunk them in the ultrasonic bath, and when you think they are good do them again  ;D

One thing I have resorted too in the past is to use one strand of wire from a lighting cable flex (really fine) to poke through the tiny airway drillings.
If it wont go through it points to a blockage.

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 03:49:20 AM »
Now she is purring  8) I stripped the carbs and both pilots were blocked and also the passageway from the bowl to the body that are connected with the small rubber hose was also blocked on one carb. Now that's a total mystery as I stripped and cleaned them beforehand. The pilots do tend  to block up straight away on some bikes I have found over the years so that's ok but the passageway was stuck firm and I had to get the tiny wire out to unblock it, I used a strand from a wire brush. Another swim in the tank and back together and now it's perfect.
I need new tyres before I go on the road and as the coating on the wheels is peeling everywhere and the wheels look disgraceful I will recoat them even though I didn't want to spent any money on bling.
I have to say the tank set up with the fuel hoses is a pretty piss poor attempt by Yamaha  >:(   

jools

• Senior Smoker
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:19 AM »
You are not wrong there Pat. Probably ok for road bikes where the tank is seldom removed.
i installed the sealing quick release clips to the pipes so I have no taps. - you probably remember them from eastern Creek?
Bit of a fumble everytime but less messy and convoluted. Would prefer to leave them connected but can't really rely on those piss poor needle valves on the flat slide TM28's that piss fuel out at the slightest invitation.
I was going to see if any taps would bolt straight to the tank but having gone this route i can't be bothered now.

Mick

• Mansfield,England..
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
I was going to see if any taps would bolt straight to the tank but having gone this route i can't be bothered now.
really hate the set up of the tap/vacuum system a simple on/off tap is what i wanted and a Yamaha TZR125 4DL works perfect and slots straight onto existing bracket..

Twitchy left hand rider ;-)

epa police

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »
Good thinking Mick, I will look into that. My tap is leaking a bit now anyway from the diaphragm so some attention is required.   

James P

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »
really hate the set up of the tap/vacuum system a simple on/off tap is what i wanted and a Yamaha TZR125 4DL works perfect and slots straight onto existing bracket..

Well done for finding the 4DL tap is a straight swap! I have already done a ZXR750 tap conversion to eliminate the vacuum operation: http://pure2strokespirit.net/forums/index.php?topic=887.msg9804#msg9804. The FZR250 3LN tap can also be used, but needs an adaptor made as well.

Regards,
James